In July 2018 (date TBD), the co-facilitators of the preparatory process for the Nelson Mandela Peace Summit will convene a one-day preparatory meeting at UN Headquarters in New York.
At the request of the Office of the President of the General Assembly (OPGA), the UN Non-Governmental Liaison Service (UN-NGLS) is facilitating a process to identify:
1) stakeholders to attend the July meeting convened by the co-facilitators during the preparatory process;
2) 1 stakeholder speaker for the September Nelson Mandela Peace Summit;
3) stakeholders to attend the September Nelson Mandela Peace Summit as observers.
Organizations that are not in consultative status with UN ECOSOC will be circulated to UN Member States for review on a non-objection basis.
For the selected speaker:
> Travel funding will be available from the UN to support the participation of the selected stakeholder speaker in the Nelson Mandela Peace Summit. The selected speaker will need to make his/her own visa arrangements, if needed for travel to the US, and cover the cost of the visa.
For approved observers (both high-level meeting and preparatory process):
> Travel funding is NOT available from the UN to support the participation of stakeholder observers in the Nelson Mandela Peace Summit, or the meeting convened by the co-facilitators during the preparatory process.
> Representatives who are approved to attend the Nelson Mandela Peace Summit, or the meeting convened by the co-facilitators during the preparatory process as observers will need to secure their own funding for travel, accommodation and subsistence, and also need to make their own visa arrangements, if applicable. The United Nations cannot provide invitation letters to stakeholders approved to attend the meeting as observers.
Please Note before submitting an application to attend the event, :
2) Confirm that the candidate meets all of the following criteria:
• is a representative of a stakeholder organization that has had a long-term programmatic focus on issues to be addressed in this event;
• has demonstrated the ability to engage constructively with a variety of stakeholders;
• has a visa for travel to New York, or is able to obtain one for travel to New York without assistance from the UN. Please check with the US Embassy or Consulate in the candidate’s country or place of residence.
UN-NGLS will facilitate a stakeholder Selection Committee for the evaluation and short-listing of the candidates for the speaking role to be presented to OPGA for their consideration. The Committee will ensure regional and gender balance, and diversity of constituency and expertise in the overall set of candidates. The President of the General Assembly will make the final selection of the speaker for this event.
Apply for the Stakeholder Selection Committee here by 28 June 2018: